That’s a wrap. Finders Keepers Tips & Tricks
We made our market debut at the 2015 Finders Keepers in Melbourne.
The hype was huge. Tens of thousands expected. Hundreds of amazing local stalls. This was going to be big.
After weeks of preparation, printing, designing, building, coming up with new ideas, changing them, changing them again… it was time.
Upon arrival, the Royal Exhibition Building was the perfect setting to host the large scale event. As a ‘debut’ stall our positioning was primo, right in the front doors.
The clock ticked 6pm on day one and it was go go go. The hoards of people flooded in, eager to get around and see what goodies were available.
The event spanned over three days and although unique and exciting in their own right, each day also experienced many highs and a couple of low moments. To ensure you have a smooth sailing market experience, here are our TOP FIVE market tips;
1. Consider your display space. And by consider, we not only mean for your functionality however from a customer’s perspective. Customers love touching and sorting through your stock. They want to see everything up close and have a play. Ensure their is enough in front of them to keep their interest.
2. Brand recognition. Stick to your style. You want customers to see you and instantly know who you are without looking at your sign. Be original, unique, and stand out from the crowd a little.
3. Be prepared. Take more of everything than you think you will need; stock, business cards, nibbles, water, bags etc. Have a very varied float with plenty of small change. Bring a tool box with a few essentials like sticky tape, pens, paper, clipboard, string, blue tac…
4. Market specials & incentives. Entice your customers to purchase then and there. Without appearing tacky offer an incentive if they purchase more than one or a special ‘market price’ on a larger item.
5. Get talking & know your product. Be prepared to talk all day. Everyday. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting all our customers, potential stockists and the general public however noticed other stalls that didn’t and the effect was obvious. Familiarise yourself with all your product so you can answer all the questions. Their will be plenty of them!
And lastly, just enjoy the experience for what it is.